The CDC Drug Overdose and Opioid websites have both been revamped!
⇒The Drug Overdose Website now features:
- All drug, nonfatal and fatal overdose data
- Funded recipient information, resources and tools
- Portal to all of CDC’s overdose prevention subsites (Opioids, Drug Overdose in Spanish, Rx Awareness, Acute Pain and Marijuana
⇒The Opioids Website now features:
- Opioid-specific content, products, data, and resources
- Content on CDC’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
Bookmark them both now to make sure you always have links to the most up-to-date information and resources at your fingertips!
Safely and Effectively Managing Pain Without Opioids
Pain whether chronic or acute, can be devastating, and unfortunately it is a reality for many people. Effective pain management can reduce pain and help improve function so people can enjoy doing what matters to them most.
There are many options for pain management that do not include prescription opioids. Some options may work better and have fewer risks and side effects than opioids. To find effective treatment options, talk to your doctor about managing your pain safely. A conversation with your doctor can help you understand nonopioid pain management options. Read Safely and Effectively Managing Pain Without Opioids.
Leveraging Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) Data in Overdose Prevention and Response
This resource, developed by the CDC, highlights the value of PDMPs as public health tools that can support and inform public health interventions and clinical decision-making. Find key information about PDMP history, importance of PDMP data access, considerations for increasing access to and utilization of PDMP data, implications for PDMPs located within and outside of the state health department, and examples of PDMP use in overdose prevention and response work.
- Drug Overdose Website (Spanish) (new!)
- Opioid Rapid Response Program (ORRP)
- Overdose Prevention Research Priorities
- DOP Strategies and Partnerships
- Drug-Free Communities
- FRED Simulator for Opioid Use Disorder and Overdose Podcast (new!)
- The CDC Opioid Guideline Mobile App is available for free on Google Play and in the Apple Store (Updates!)
- MMWR and Medscape Continuing Education (CE) Activity Opportunity
- 2019 Mortality Data, including maps and graphics
- COVID-19 Questions and Answers: For People Who Use Drugs or Have Substance Use Disorder
We all have a role to play in raising awareness about the risks of opioid misuse and empowering people to make safe choices. Spread the word and share these resources and information. Visit the Great Plains QIN Web site for medication safety resources.