The impact of nurses on health care is unparalleled; directly affecting the health and well-being of our society. In May we honor them. Nurses are everywhere we live, work, play, learn, and worship and in every health care setting providing care to millions of people.
National Nurses Month is an opportunity to celebrate nurses. The 2022 Nurses Month theme, “You Make A Difference,” was selected to encourage nurses, individuals, employers, other health care professionals and community leaders to recognize and promote the vast contributions and positive impact of America’s nurses. Nurses make a difference as trusted advocates who ensure individuals, families, and populations receive quality patient care and services. Nurses make a difference by influencing and shaping health policy decisions that ensure all Americans have access to high-quality, affordable health care coverage.
The American Nurses Association (ANA) released the 2022 Nursing Month Resource Toolkit which provides resources, templates, and ideas to recognize nurses and offers ideas and templates to promote the value of the nursing profession. Download the Toolkit and access articles and information on available resources. Once downloaded, you will need an Internet connection to download individual resource files, such as logos, certificates of appreciation, online ads, etc.
A month-long celebration of the nursing profession allows for greater opportunities to promote understanding and appreciation of the invaluable contributions of nurses. The month will be divided into four weekly focus areas — Self-Care, Recognition, Professional Development, and Community Engagement.
- Self Care (May 1-7); This week is dedicated to cultivating and maintaining optimal mental health and physical well-being.
- Recognition (May 8-14); Honor the work of nurses who lead, excel and innovate, not only in our healthcare systems, but also in our communities, which makes them vital to transforming the future of health care.
- Professional Development (May 15 – 21); Access resources and insights to guide you in your professional development. Focus on how you can excel and lead in your nursing career or inspire and help others in their professional nursing journey.
- Community Engagement (May 22 – 31); Focus on engaging with your community this week, whether virtually or in-person. Educate members of your community on what nurses do beyond the bedside — advocacy, shaping public policy, or serving as organizational board members, among other duties. Encourage them to support current and future nurses.
We are all indebted to nurses for their unwavering commitment to patients, their communities, and our health care systems. Celebrating and honoring nurses during the month of May provides an added opportunity to promote the value of nursing, advocate for the profession, conduct media outreach and host virtual events. We look forward to celebrating YOU; and emphasizing YOU do make a difference.
The Great Plains QIN team will promote related events, additional resources, and special observances throughout the month through our newsletter, website and social media platforms. We recommended planning ahead.
Inspire others with social media!
In our digitally connected world, we can share powerful thoughts and ideas faster than ever. Social media gives you the power to elevate the nursing profession and all you do. Nurses, you have the influence.
- Promote your nurse values
- Express your gratitude
- Inspire others by sharing your story