Recent readmission penalties have impacted most Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) providers. The first quality measure in SNF Value-Based Purchasing is the SNF Readmission Measure (SNFRM) – which NOW affects quality, compliance and financial outcomes for all providers across the nation.
Readmission Measure Impact
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) implemented measures to reduce avoidable hospital readmissions by lowering a year’s worth of payments to nearly 11,000 SNF providers. The financial incentives were determined by each facility’s readmission rates.
Patient Driven Payment Model
In July 2018, CMS finalized a new case-mix classification model, the Patient Driven Payment Model (PDPM), that, effective beginning October 1, 2019, will be used under the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Prospective Payment System (PPS) for classifying SNF patients in a covered Part A stay.
Tools and Assistance
The Great Plains Quality Innovation Network has tools, resources and educational events to help your organization improve care coordination, reduce readmission to the hospital and assist with quality improvement efforts in the long-term care/post-acute care environment.
- Quality Measure Video Series
- Composite Score Calculator
- Social Determinants of Health-cause for Readmissions
Recorded Educational Events
- Sepsis Matters: Early Recognition and Management for Nursing Home and Home Health Providers
- Surviving Sepsis: Early Management Saves Lives | Sepsis Webinar Series
- The Community’s Role in Opioid and Adverse Drug Events
- Sepsis Webinar Series | Early Recognition and Management of Sepsis: A Post-Acute Care Settings Toolkit
- ICAMP – Immunization Champions, Advocates & Mentors Training Program
- Engaging Staff in Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI)
- Blood Pressure Protocol Training
- Improving Care Coordination by Working with Super-Utilizer Patients
- Improving End-of-Life Care: Eating the Elephant One Bite at A Time
- Best Practices for Pain Management and Prevention of Readmissions
- IMPACT Act – What SNFs Need to Know
- Improving Adult Immunizations and the Importance of Healthcare Worker Immunization
- Discharge Processes to Assist in Progression of Care Management
- Teach-Back – Improving Patient Safety and Engagement
- Teach-Back Follow Up Coaching Call