Healthy Aging® Month is an annual observance designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older.
The mission is to encourage local level Healthy Aging® events that promote taking personal responsibility for one’s health…physically, socially, mentally or financially.
September is a perfect time to celebrate Healthy Aging® since many people think about getting started on new tasks after the summer. It offers the opportunity to hit ‘re-start’ and take positive measures that make a positive impact. As a healthcare community, let’s make an effort to encourage individuals to identify ways to make improvements to help lead a happier and healthier life.
Ten Tips for Reinventing Yourself
- Do not act your age or at least what you think your current age should act like.
- Be positive in your conversations and your actions every day.
- Ditch the downer friends. Have negative friends who complain all of the time and constantly talk about how awful everything is? Let them go.
- Walk like a vibrant, healthy person.
- Stand up straight! You can knock off the appearance of a few extra years with this trick your mother kept trying to tell you.
- Smile! Research shows people who smile more often are happier.
- Lonely? Stop brooding and complaining about having no friends or family. Do something about it.
- Go for a walk. Not only for your health, but to see neighbors, friends..or take your dog for a walk.
- Get a physical. Make this month the time to set up your annual physical and other health screenings.
- Find your inner artist. Learn how to play an instrument. Join the choir at your church. Go to a painting class.
Included below are resources and sites that offer prevention and healthy living that can be utilized to promote with your older adult population: