The CDC just released weekly COVID-19 vaccination data reporting modules: Surveillance for Weekly HCP & Resident Vaccination. These modules allow reporting of COVID-19 vaccination coverage among:
- Healthcare personnel working in Long-Term Care Facilities (LTCFs)
- Residents of LTCFs
- Healthcare personnel working in non-long term care facilities, such as acute care, critical access hospitals, long-term acute care hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, outpatient dialysis centers and ambulatory surgery centers
Comparable to the weekly influenza vaccination reporting, data will not be reported for individuals, but rather the cumulative number of healthcare personnel and LTCF residents. In addition, the weekly COVID-19 vaccination modules allow for reporting of COVID-19 vaccine supply and number of clinically significant COVID-19 vaccination adverse events in the last week, with a direct link to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) for reporting individual cases of adverse events.
Facilities eligible to report to the NHSN Long-Term Care Facility Component are encouraged to use the COVID-19 Vaccination module to track aggregate vaccination coverage in their facility. NHSN will allow facilities, state health departments, and CDC to determine the number and percentage of staff and residents in each facility who have received the COVID-19 vaccine.
CMS is strongly encouraging this reporting to help inform public health emergency response activities, such as assisting with planning of support to jurisdictions in need (including issues with vaccine supply).
Additional Information on the COVID-19 Vaccine Modules [December 2020 CDC Presentation]
In addition, the CDC has created a Long-Term Care Facility Toolkit: Preparing for COVID-19 Vaccination at your Facility. This toolkit provides LTCF administrators and clinical leadership with information and resources to help build vaccine confidence among healthcare personnel (HCP) and residents. This toolkit also includes resources, such as Answering Common Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines for LTCF Staff and LTCF Residents and Loved Ones.
- Preparing Staff for COVID-19 Vaccination
- Preparing Residents for COVID-19 Vaccination
- Vaccine Safety Monitoring and Reporting in Your Facility
- FAQs about COVID-19 Vaccination in LTCFs
- Additional Resources