On July 25, 2018, CMS proposed changes in the Calendar Year 2019 OPPS and ASC Payment System rule that would further advance the agency’s priority of creating a patient-centered healthcare system by greater price transparency, interoperability and significant burden reduction so that hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers can operate with better flexibility and patients have what they need to become active healthcare partner.
Some areas of focus are as follows:
- Increasing choices and encouraging site neutrality
- Meaningful measures/patients over paperwork
- Proposed updates to OPPS payment rates
- Proposed updates to ASC payment rates
- Combating the opioid crisis
The proposed rule (CMS-1695-P) can be downloaded from the Federal Register. The deadline for submitting comments on the proposed rule is September 24, 2018.