A recent CDC Morbidity and Mortality Meekly Report promoted a FREE continuing education activity on opioid prescribing in partnership with Medscape. This activity is intended for primary care clinicians, nurses and other clinicians prescribing opioids for chronic pain outside of active cancer treatment, palliative care and end-of-life care.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
1. Distinguish recommendations for starting or continuing opioids for chronic pain outside of active cancer treatment, palliative care and end-of-life care, based on a guideline from the CDC
2. Identify recommendations for opioid selection, dosage, duration, follow-up and discontinuation, based on a CDC guideline
3. Distinguish recommendations for evaluating risk and addressing harms associated with opioid use, based on a CDC guideline
Continuing Medical Education (CME), American Board of Internal Medicine Maintenance of Certification (ABIM MOC) and Continuing Education (CE) credits are all available for this activity – CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain — United States, 2016.
Credits available include:
- Physicians – maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- ABIM Diplomates – maximum of 1.00 ABIM MOC points
- Nurses – 1.00 ANCC Contact Hour(s) (0.25 contact hours are in the area of pharmacology)
Access this activity from the link located at the top of the MMWR’s homepage.